Monday, May 9, 2011

Berry Bountiful

My husband and I went foraging yesterday in one of the local Mobile parks and came back with a half gallon bag full of Mulberries, Huckleberries, Blueberries, and a couple blackberries. The spot where we had initially started berry foraging for blackberries seemed to have all dried up but we noticed a few flowers and some white and red berries so maybe they are amping up for a second round? It has been unusually dry this April in the deep south and unusually wet in the north so I am sure the whole states a little wonky, and its neighbors as well. I know that the blueberries and huckleberries are in full swing and you should get yourself to a park or piney "woods"! I think these taste the best fresh by the handful but blackberries are the best cobbler berry I know! So here is a quick recipe for a small two person cobbler.


Loaf pan cobbler

1/2 c sugar
1/2c milk
1/2c flour 
1/4c hot water*
1c blackberries 
4tbls butter 

*I used frozen berries for this so I used hot water if you are using fresh just use room temperature water and mix directly with the sugar and pour over the berries

Mix the frozen blackberries with about a cup of really hot water until the water is no longer hot pour out all the water and save 1/4c of it (the rest tastes good in tea) mix the blackberry water and 1/2 cup of sugar together and pour over the top of the blackberries let it sit while you do the rest

Per heat your oven, in my case a convection table top oven, to 375. 

Melt your butter in the microwave and pour it into your loaf pan, let it set till it isn't hot just melty. I line mine with foil for ease of clean up. Swirl it all around the sides.

 Mix in your flour and combine

Mix in your milk and use a fork to mash the flour butter clumps in with your milk but don't get it completely lump free. 

Pour the berries/sugar/water in and and mix it slightly. 

Bake until golden brown on top and it bubbles thick purple berry goo around the edges.  About 30-40 minutes let cool a bit and enjoy! Maybe top with some whipped cream or ice cream or have it for breakfast. Wanna make it bigger? Double everything, same technique. 





3 comments:

  1. Blackberries thrive in wet climates. In the Pacific NW where I'm originally from they grown like weeds. I can't wait to see more of what you write Jalah!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really good, Jalah. I'll give it a shot. Our growing season is a little behind yours. I like what you're doing with the blog. Great idea! Keep it up, and your garden is looking wonderful! Post more pics as it comes along - and more recipes too?? Take care, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks will do! I am going to post a recipe today for a dip that uses fresh herbs and wild onions! And a post on poisonous plants as well. I hope you guys enjoy!

    ReplyDelete